<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, April 05, 2003

AND FURTHERMORE, motherf**kers, bombing has never been as effective in reality as it seems to be in theory, as a means of cowing a population or breaking an army's fighting spirit. Hey, the Viet Cong found that, although it was really scary to do so, they could survive a B-52 assault by hiding in a tunnel equipped with a gabled roof. Not, like, a steel roof or anything, just a wooden one. There are numerous other examples, mostly from WWII--and yes, I know that technology has improved since then. But I also think the precision of "precision munitions" is vastly overrated, and believe that reports after this conflict will bear this out. I understand, and am completely in favor of, substituting technology for manpower inasmuch as it saves lives on both sides in a battle. But recent experience in Kosovo et al suggests that use of ground infantry is still vital to a fighting force's agency. Computers still can't do what even stupid people can, and you can bet your ass that the battle of Baghdad will be shaped in large part by this fact.

Having said all this, and knowing that it's pretty morbid to say the following: I also think that tanks are cool.

Also knowing that I am moving with probably depressing rapidity from uninformed but reasoned commentary to vacuous blathering, I'll now take this opportunity to respond to Rick's blatant dis re: my basketball prowess. Now, I've been about 5' 7" since my senior year of high school, when I could jump and get a finger on a 10' goal, on a good day. 30" was my vertical, back in the day. That's not going to win any awards, but if I was 6-6 like MJ, and my arms were correspondingly longer, YOU BET that I'd "dunk the fucker" every chance that I got. Switch-hand layup? Please, Shawn Kemp has displayed superior artistry around the rim. Jordan was at his best when he was putting the ball directly through the rim from above. Proof? See the Air logo, MF. I rest my case.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?