<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, April 19, 2003

So, back from London, and not nearly as depressed as I thought I'd be. Although I am insanely jealous of my good friend Rick Bach, who not only received a letter from Pvt. William L. Jagnow when I didn't, but is a much better guitar player (and lover!) than I. The temerity!

London was total magic for me. I consider myself so lucky that my first excursion outside the beloved U.S. involved such a lively, cosmopolitan, and enchanting city. Of course, I also got to see my men Rob W and the aforementioned Ricky B, and my No. 2 biatch Dayna S. I suggest you go to London, if you can; I feel the experience has somehow broadened and strengthened me. What higher recommendation can I make?

So, the war in Iraq is over, having been simultaneously the most successful military operation possibly in the history of warfare and a great human tragedy. Now some Iraqis want the U.S. out so they can rebuild their country. In the strictest democratic sense, this is their right, but recent history (i.e. the Baathist dictatorship) suggests that it might not be such a good idea. As always, it's important to try to look at both sides of this issue. On one hand, deposing a dictator who treated his subjects with such blatant carelessness for human life (and Hussein killed more Iraqis than W ever could have, remember) was an absolute good. On the other hand, the U.S. killed a lot of innocent people to accomplish its goal, and was also acting partly out of self-interest. Additionally, victory may make the U.S. even more odious in the eyes of the Arab world, which means: more terrorism on U.S. soil. My personal verdict on the war is still out, as I'm sure many people's are. But don't be fooled into voting for Bush: the man is still an idiot. That Tony Blair, on the other hand....

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?