<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, December 14, 2003

I'd say I've lost 5-7 pounds since my last post, which has been nice. Crucial to my workouts have been the post-run pullups I've been knocking out on the exposed I-beam in the Starons' basement. There are few feats of strength as viscerally gratifying as fingertip pullups. When every muscle group is firing in orderly succession, I never feel huger. Of course, I am nowhere near huge. But that's the magic of fingertip pullups.

Yesterday, I heard the song "Rainbow in the Dark," by ex-Sabbath frontman Ronnie James Dio. Not that he'd deny it, but Tenacious D's Jack Black obviously gets a lot of his act from Dio. Of course, Dio was quite sincere in delivering lines like "I cry for magic/I see it dancing in the light," while Black is hilarious because he's aware, when singing such a line, of how stupid it actually sounds. At a certain point, though, you have to wonder--when you're driving in your car with your radio at full blast, does the singer's relative level of sincerity really matter? To me, it does not: I will rock out to Dio and the D with equal intensity. And then I'll laugh out loud, and who cares why?

"Now it's time for me to tell you about Young Nasty Man, archrival and nemesis of Wonderboy, with powers comparable TO WONDERBOY!"

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?