<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 21, 2004

I was allowed back into the country only after a stern warning from the Chicago National League ballclub, who were understandably upset to learn that I was bringing my distracting presence back to Chicago.

The Cubs went on a 6-game tear while I was away, and in general seem to play better when I'm not looking. Despite this, they have managed to win 2 straight games since I got back, and tomorrow begin their most important stretch of the season: 3 @ STL, 3 @ SOX, 3 vs HOU, 3 vs SOX, 3 @ MIL, 3 @ STL.

The way they are going right now, they could win all of these, or they could win one of 18. I'm afraid to make predictions at this point, except to predict that the Cubs are unpredictable.

Let's recap a bit:

D. Lee is, once again, very cool. He is rounding into form, as he does every season at about this time. RODAN!

IF the Cubs get Kerry Wood back...I'm afraid to think about it. I would not want to be the rest of the division if the Cubs can put together a healthy stretch with their current personnel playing at their current levels.

The Astros are suddenly very bad. Not sure if this is permanent, or what. If it is, I consider it a tremendous break for the Cubs. I just don't think anybody else has the pitching to win 90 games in this division.

It's weird to be the voice of reason for my Cubs-loving friends, which I've basically been this season. Mike Bodnar, for example, all but gave up a few weeks ago, when I had to remind him that the Cubs, then missing Prior, Wood, and Sosa, would get these three All-Stars back within a few weeks (Wood continues to be a mystery to me) without giving up anything.

Things are looking up, at least for now. It likely won't continue, but what do I know?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?