<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, August 02, 2004

I caught myself daydreaming about Nomar today. It's so awesome that he's on the Cubs. I feel really bad for Red Sox fans, who have to console themselves with the fact that Nomar was apparently a real a-hole in their clubhouse. Poor, poor tortured Red Sox fans.

In fairness to them, Nomar's saga has been truly bizarre--this is a guy who hit .372 less than 4 full seasons ago, who has never hit less than .300 in any season in which he's played more than 25 games, who none other than Ted Williams (the all-time greatest Red Sock) tabbed as his favorite active Red Sox player. And the guy didn't even last 10 years in Beantown. Think that might tell you something about how nuts Bostonians are about their baseball team? I'm willing to admit that Nomar might be a prick behind the scenes, but this guy was beloved by Sox fans not 5 years ago. He was their boy. Now, they can only pretend that they're happy to see him go.

Well, I'm glad that the Sox were so anxious to shove him out the door that they basically gave him to the Cubs. Because now, instead of a steaming piece of dogshit between second and third, there now stands a stallion with a history of clutch hitting--a line-drive machine, a hustler, a great competitor, A REAL-LIVE MAJOR-LEAGUE PLAYER! I watched Nomar with my buddy Matt from Boston during the '99 playoffs: this guy was their only offensive weapon, and the Yankees still could not shut the guy down. I cannot wait for the Cubs to play a bunch of games so I can see what happens with a decent starting eight.

Of course, I have probably jinxed it all by now. But if you can't be happy about something like this, you probably need help. If it gets screwed up somehow, you know who to blame. But I'm feeling good. Out!


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?