<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

The much-anticipated TOTFBFFWBT did not come to pass this past Sunday, but a mini round-robin tournament was held in its place. Rick and I entered this two-on-two wiffleball extravaganza as the Mooninites, and the day was quite a success for us: we won all three games we played by a combined total of 33-0. Rick pitched the first two games and gave up 2 hits combined, walking none. I came in to face an all-righthanded team in the third game and fared pretty well, allowing 2 hits and 2BB over 4 complete shutout innings. I had the slider (and a few other pitches) working for the first 2 innings, but then I lost the grip on it and had to resort to my curve for long stretches of the last 2. It worked out OK.

I am not sure that Rick would lose more than a few games even if he played 1-on-2. Our game is biased heavily in the pitcher's favor, and Rick is simply the best wiffleball pitcher that anyone has ever seen. It's taken me literally hundreds of at-bats to even simulate competently hitting against him, and 3 of his 4 opposing batters Sunday had never before faced him. So they had no chance. To have a chance, you'd probably need a team that looked something like this:

2 players, both of whom pitch lefty and bat righty. Both are fast and can field anything in the vicinity. One player has to be a dominant pitcher. The other should probably be able to call in airstrikes at will or bleed from his eyes on command.

I do not know of a current team that looks like this. I'd like to see a game between Rick and a team of Carlos Zambrano and Bill Jagnow, though. If only for the comedic value.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?