<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, October 02, 2004

I wish I could begin my bit about the "presidential debate" (of earlier this week) with a statement like "now for something more serious," but that would be a joke.

Watching Charlie Rose after work on Thursday, I could not help but think guest Jon Stewart (of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show") was absolutely dead-on when he described the debates as "a sort of dance...that both participants willfully participate in." After 5 minutes of the debate, I'm not sure how you could think otherwise. Calling it a debate is completely inaccurate--the participants are not arguing points, they are simply repeating slogans, sound bites, and statistics ad nauseam.

And I think the whole point is to bore people to death! Perhaps there are some that can fool themselves into thinking the whole thing is meaningful, but I'm not among them. Candidates are interested only in furthering the current climate of bloviation and obfuscation. If that last sentence made no sense, that's exactly the point. Traditional-party candidates don't make any sense, anymore. That's why you need to educate yourself about politics--otherwise, these loons are running the asylum.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?