<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, January 31, 2005

The season's Top 5:

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I'm generally a latecomer to media of all kinds, which will be obvious enough reading this list. I've had this recommended to me by various sources, and I finally saw it this Saturday. I found it genuinely affecting, almost profound. That Charlie Kauffman!

2. American Idiot, Greenday. See above. I wouldn't say this is "genuinely affecting," but it's literate enough, and it rocks hard when it wants to. Favorite tracks include "Jesus of Suburbia," "St. Jimmy," "Homecoming" and "Whatsername." Bonus points for overt nods to both Queen and Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69."

3. Hot chocolate. Rick and I are going through 6-8 packets a day of hot cocoa at work. It feels good in my belly.

4. Apartment-hunting. This is real serious fun when you've got all the time in the world to move. If all goes well, I'll be installed in a 2d- or 3d-story apartment with a fireplace and about 900 square feet of room starting in April. It'll be expensive, but I don't care. I'm looking forward to having my own place, and to having folks over for grub. You know you'll want to be there!

5. The 7" Granton-edged Santoku by Wuesthof. Seven inches of drop-forged high carbon stainless steel, the blade hollow-ground and sharp enough to cut a piece of paper in half with nothing but gravity doing the pushing. Its bolster is just right and provides nice balance, and the handle cleans easily and fits my hand well. With it, I can dice an onion while (not recommended) talking on the phone quickly enough to avoid tearing up. Drop-chops and rock-chops with equal facility. Will look real pretty on the magnetic strip I plan on installing in my new kitchen. In short, this knife makes me want to cook just so I can use it. Fun.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?