<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Top 5 songs for whenever the hell-whenever the hell

1. Beck, "Hell Yes" I love every song I've ever heard titled "Hell Yes," so perhaps this was no surprise. This is a straight up rap (inasmuch as anything Beck does can be called "straight up") with robotic voices, an insouciantly '80s drum-machine beat, a sampled Japanese woman, and the following lyrics during the chorus:

"Hell yes I'm movin this way/
I'm doin this thing (please enjoy)/
Hell yes I'm turnin it on/
I'm workin my legs/
Hell yes I'm callin you out/
I'm switchin my plates (please enjoy)/
Hell yes I'm cleanin the floor/
My beat is correct"

Our little baby's all growns up.

2. Queens of the Stone Age, "Broken Box" Laura asked in the car, "who are we listening to?" "It's Queens, baby," I answered, and she looked stunned. Indeed, this fuzzed-out late '70s rave up does not sound at all like typical Queens, but even so, this makes #2. Should tell you what I think of their new album.

3. The Flaming Lips, "Buggin" God, is this band weird. I'd've said that BEFORE I heard the synth-mosquito sound they back this song with, not that I needed any confirmation. I like to shake my big old ass, however, and the beats in this song are sufficient to move it. Oh word?

4. Beck, "Scarecrow" I'm very pleased with Beck's new album, as well. As I said to Rick on Monday, he builds a groove in this song and then has the sense to ride it all the way out, to a fade. Great use of harmonica, too, second only to #1 on this list.

5. the Rolling Stones, "Honky Tonk Women" A) no list is complete without the Stones (and it is a FACT that I am a seventh son!) and B) I heard this song on the radio today, and was so compelled to play air guitar that I couldn't stop myself. I'm kinda moving on to air drums, though. Or trying to.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?