<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Fat Christ, it's almost July 4th again. While I have always looked forward to the long weekend and big gatherings traditionally associated with this holiday, and while my memories of last July 4--1 day after Mark and Katie's wedding, at Madison Meadows next to my girlfriend and her family, smoking a cigar and basking in the glow of a Cubs sweep over the White Sox--are particularly sweet, the truth is that I used to dread the Fourth. Mostly because it signified that the summertime was once again going to pass quite quickly, and I had better start squeezing in more fun stuff before it was all wasted.

I'm quite glad I've grown enough to realize that the summer is all about the time you waste, not about the time you spend doing things. I've spent the whole week working, but two days this week I've still managed to cook some excellent food and go for a run with Laura and her little brother, and I'll remember these two simple evenings just as much as many other fussed-over and worried-about long weekends of the future. Which is not to say that those aren't great, too. Just that there's plenty of fun to be had when you least expect it.

My cooking is out of control these days, by the way. Stop by sometime and I'll show you; you won't regret it.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?