<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, August 26, 2005

Our voices are ground down today from shouting at each other at close quarters last night. Music in bars is too often too loud. This does not negatively color my perception of the evening, though. A good time was had by all.

I punched a sign, I think, and a large bruise has appeared on my right hand.

Wine tastings are an absolute good. They are even better when the food pairings are as well-crafted as they were last night. Chardonnay and salad met elegantly and their flavors collided perfectly, the taste vanishing from my mouth like a rainbow atop a cresting wave. Later I switched to vodka gimlets, which I can still taste now. That pairing (lime juice, Ketel One) was sturdy, but in no way elegant.

We inspired a lot of enmity from strangers. We were virtually thrown from a closing bar, threatened with arrest in a McDonald’s, and shouted at by a fellow patron in line at a darkened Dominick’s. I felt like we could’ve taken everybody, but that’s because I was drunk.

Pete looks terrifying with shaven head and facial hair.

I looked down at my watch at 2:19am and reacted with primal shock. It was some of my most genuinely-felt shock since Ben Kenobi shaved three limbs off Anakin Skywalker with one swipe of the lightsaber. There is no arithmetic more tortured than subtracting the time on your watch from the time on your alarm clock. Three hours’ sleep is not very much, does not propel you through the workday with youthful vigor. Sometimes that’s worth it. These were the facts of the evening.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?